Valentine's Day with Core Vocabulary
Here are some Valentine's ideas for the classroom and use with specific Core Vocabulary. During each Valentine activity, model by pointing to the target core vocabulary word as you speak.
Core Vocabulary with Valentine Fringe
1. Candy Heart Graphs: Give each child a baggie or box of heart-shaped Vanetine candy. Have the students work together to sort and graph the candy by color. Combine data to make a class graph if desired. Lessonpix provides users the ability to make simple graphs of any items you choose.
CORE: More - Have - Here - There - Same - Different
2. Zoo Animals: Make animals using various sizes of paper hearts. For some great ideas for animals made from hearts, check out this book, My Heart Is Like A Zoo by Michael Hall. Great for teaching similies (Happy as a Hippo). Replace the word "as" with "like" throughout the book to reinforce core word "like".
CORE: Like - Turn - Put - Make
5. Name Cards: Label mailboxes with child's name and picture to help in distributing Valentines. Making name cards is easy. Follow the tab at the top of the page that says , "Your LessonPix". On that page click on the link, "Manage your photos". The directions will show that you can e-mail photos from a smartphone, ipad, or computer or upload photos to the site. These photos are private and can only be seen by the account user. Once the students photos are uploaded, select the students you want to use to place in the tray. Click the yellow button, "Create Materials". Follow the wizard, choosing "Picture and Word Cards".
CORE: Friends - Like - Pur In - Here - There
6. Valentine Book: Valentines book in the style of Brown Bear, Brown Bear by Bill Martin Jr.
CORE: What - Do - You - See - Look
7. I Have Who Has: Small group activity using Valentine words
CORE: I - Have - Who
8. Valentines Day Game Board: Play with dice in groups. Take turns making sentences about Valentines vocabulary or in practicing speech sounds in phrases, sentences, and conversation
CORE: Turn - Go - More - Like
Have Fun Talking and Playing and Happy Valentines Day!