Sharing LessonPix Materials
Members of LessonPix are always welcome to share our symbols and materials with their students or clients they directly support as well as their family members. They can also share with fellow teachers and colleagues who have valid LessonPix licenses by using the Sharing Center.
However, to maintain the value of our library, distribution rights beyond those settings are not included in the standard membership fees. Effective March 16, 2020, we no longer limit the method of distribution to physical copies: electronic distribution within our users’ caseloads and class roster is now permitted.
Members are responsible for limiting distribution to only those recipients necessary for distribution to their students and clients. For illustration, here are some examples of what is and is not allowed:
- Emailing generated PDF files home to students or their parents
- Sharing Word documents that include LessonPix symbols on a Google Drive or DropBox folder that is shared only with clients
- Posting PDF files to a Learning Management System such as Canvas in a way that it can be accessed only by your students
- Posting links to materials in the Sharing Center in any setting, website or social media site (because Sharing Center links can only be accessed by current LessonPix members).
- Sharing PDF files or symbols on any website or social media platform (Pinterest, Facebook, etc.) that can be accessed by people who are not in the users caseload or classroom.
- Distributing generated materials and symbols to other teachers for use in their classroom or therapy
- Selling or sharing any materials on any sharing sites such as Teachers Pay Teachers (regardless of whether there is a charge).
Why do we limit electronic distribution?
There are unfortunately many easy ways for our members to dilute the value of our library, both intentionally and inadvertently. For example, users could generate picture cards for entire categories and sell them. Or, they could just post them freely on various sites: this would be less malicious, but would still result in our images being distributed without any way for us to receive compensation.
"How do other sites & companies solve this?"
Many similar sites have chosen to distribute their images in a proprietary format (such as BoardMaker's .bm files) or limit the software you can use to edit their pictures.
We have specifically chosen to give as much freedom to our members to use any tools they like: Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, etc can all accept our exported pictures. We love the creativity this gives our members and we're thrilled to make it possible.
"But I'm trying to help! And I'm a good guy!"
We understand that there are times when sharing is a very good thing, both for our members and for LessonPix. For example, several influential bloggers would like to share things they generated with their audience. With proper attribution and references, and done in moderation, this is a great source of traffic and referral for us!
Other members may want to distribute a small subset of LessonPix images commercially in a way that does not significantly dilute our libary's value. In those cases, we would like to be able to do business with them.
Our Solution: Ask First!
To solve this problem, we have created the LessonPix Limited Distribution License. If you have a great use for LessonPix images, or if you would like to distribute a limited number of materials on your blog, facebook page, mailing list or website please contact us at email@example.com or via our Contact Page.
We will gladly get back to you with specific terms, any fees that are needed (if any) for your use and a badge for you to use to show that you're in compliance with our license terms.
Thank you, and we look forward to working with you!